On a chilly winter day, there’s nothing like a warm bowl of homemade pudding to warm you up. Its creamy, soothing texture makes you feel right at home. This Honey Chai Pudding, made with local honey from Hawaii, will really hit the spot with its exciting combination of flavors.
To make honey Chai Pudding, you will need:
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 black tea bag
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup honey from Hawaii’s Local Buzz
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. rum
- Combine the milk, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, salt, cardamom, honey and tea bag (unopened) in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, and boil until the milk turns a light brown color.
- Remove the tea bag, and remove the milk mixture from the heat. Pour it through a mesh sieve and into a bowl. Discard the spices that collect in the sieve.
- Let the milk mixture cool to room temperature in the bowl, and then whist in the cornstarch. Keep mixing until all of the lumps are gone.
- Whisk in one egg at a time.
- Return the mixture to a saucepan, and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Turn the heat to low, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pudding from the heat, and stir in the butter and rum.
- Ladle the hot pudding into bowls to serve. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.