Whenever the weather changes, people tend to develop colds. If you’ve been suffering from the summer sniffles and sneezes, we have just the thing to cure what ails you: homemade cough drops.
Made with natural, raw honey to suppress coughs and boost your immune system, these cough drops will give your body the strength it needs to fight off the cold bug. Immune-boosting coconut oil helps out, too.
To make one batch of cough drops, you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup natural coconut oil (make sure you buy a reputable brand)
- 1/2 cup raw honey from Hawaii
- 1 teaspoon organic cinnamon (optional — cinnamon has been used in traditional cold remedies for years)
- Place the coconut oil in a mixing bowl, and beat it on high with a mixer until it develops a fluffy, whipped consistency.
- Pour the honey into the bowl, and continue mixing until it is completely worked into the coconut oil.
- Stir in the cinnamon by hand.
- Pack the mixture into the compartments of an ice cube tray. Try to use an ice cube tray with small, cough-drop sized compartments if you can find one.
- Place the cough drops in the freezer. They will take about 20 minutes to solidify — longer if you make larger cough drops.
Once your cough drops have frozen, you can pop them out of the tray and store them in a resealable bag or container in your fridge. Enjoy as many as you like through the day. You can’t overdose on these like you could over-the-counter medications!
Visit Hawaii’s Local Buzz to explore our selection of raw honey from Hawaii, which is perfect for this recipe and others. Our honey is never heated or pasteurized, and it’s blended naturally by our favorite little workers — the bees.