When the summer heat strikes, few things taste as good as a cool bowl of ice cream. This summer, serve up bowls of this delicious Salty Honey Ice Cream. The recipe is simple to follow and results in a treat that will have everyone asking for seconds. You’ll love how the saltiness balances out the sweetness of the honey.
- 1/2 cup honey (our raw honey from Hawaii works wonderfully)
- 3/4 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- Prepare an ice bath by combining a handful of ice cubes and a little water in a large metal bowl. Set a second smaller bowl inside the ice, and set up a strainer leading into the smaller bowl.
- Pour the honey into a small saucepan, and warm it over low heat until it is quite runny. Stir in the salt, and remove the pan from the heat.
- In a second saucepan, combine the milk and sugar. Simmer until the sugar fully dissolves.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Then, add about 1/4 cup of the warm milk to the eggs, whisking constantly to avoid cooking the eggs. Continue whisking, and slowly add the remaining milk to the eggs.
- Pour the egg mixture back into a saucepan, and cook until it reaches 170 degrees F. Then, pour the mixture through the sieve into the ice bath.
- Stir in the honey, followed by the heavy cream. Whisk until the mixture reaches room temperature, then refrigerate it.
- Churn the ice cream in your ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Enjoy!