In the fall months, nothing is more soothing than a hot beverage, sipped slowly as you chat with family and friends. This Honey Spiced Cider, made with our natural raw honey from Hawaii, will make any fall evening a bit sweeter.
To make your own Honey Spiced Cider, you will need:
- 5 cups of apple cider (natural, organic cider is best)
- 1/4 cup honey from Hawaii’s Local Buzz (choose our Spring, Paradise Blend or Lychee varieties for this recipe)
- 24 whole cloves
- 2 navel oranges (the variety without seeds) cut into quarters
- 7 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 4-inch strip of fresh lemon zest, cut from a lemon
Follow these instructions to make your delicious drink:
- Pour the cider into a saucepan, and add the honey.
- Turn the heat to medium, and stir as you heat the honey and cider mixture. The honey will slowly dissolve.
- Press the cloves into the rinds of the oranges. Then, add these to the cider mixture.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, lemon and nutmeg to the cider mixture.
- Bring your cider to a simmer, and then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover your pan, and let the cider bubble away for about 20 minutes.
- Pass the mixture through a strainer to remove the oranges and lemon zest.
- Ladle the cider into mugs, and enjoy.
This recipe makes enough cider to serve 6 – 8 people. If you’re making it for a party, just double the recipe and make it in a larger pot. It’s delicious when paired with other fall favorites like gingerbread cookies or pumpkin pie.
At Hawaii’s Local Buzz, our raw honey from Hawaii is made on our own farms. It’s never heated or treated, so you get all of the nutrition benefits and flavors possible. Visit us to learn more about this and our other Hawaiian treats.